Details for a couple of online workshop opportunities. These are not free workshops and NBWCG can’t vouch for and has no association with them, but they may be worth a look!
Title: World Building
Instructor: Renee Wildes
Fee: $25.00 – $30.00
Dates: March 3 – March 28, 2014 — 4 weeks, intensive course
Classifications: Writing Fundamentals, Grammar, Plot, Dialogue, Characterization, Point of View (POV), Research, Craft, All Levels
Description: Creating a fully realized reality for your characters to live in and interact with can be a daunting task. In this class, you will learn how to outline the various components to create a believable world including:
– Basic parameters such as time period, location, setting and season, and character POV
Technology and infrastructure information including dwellings, communities, maps, modes of travel, tools and weapons, and clothing
– Character specific details such as family members and pets, career, and hobbies
– Character and cultural specifics including traditions, values, beliefs, mythology, politics and religion
– Natural Environment details including geological features, climate and weather, and the native flora and fauna
– Designed for serious writers of all levels, this course will include detail oriented outlines that you will fill out to create your own worlds.
BIO: Renee Wildes is an award-winning WI writer. She grew up reading fantasy authors Terry Brooks and Mercedes Lackey and is a huge Joseph Campbell fan, so the minute she discovered romance novels it became inevitable that she would combine it all and write fantasy romance. Renee is a history buff, from medieval times back to ancient Greece, esp. Sparta. As a Navy brat and a cop’s kid, she gravitated to protector/guardian heroes and heroines. She’s had horses her whole life, so became the only vet tech in a family of nurses. It all comes together in her critically acclaimed Guardians of Light series for Samhain Publishing – fantasy, action, romance, heroics and lots of critters!
Title: Alphas: Leaders of the Pack
Instructor: Robin Matheson
Fee: $30.00 – $35.00
Dates: March 3 – April 11, 2014 — 6 weeks, intensive course
Classroom: Castle Rock
Classifications: Specialty Research, Characterization, Craft
Description: “You don’t like me, Bond. You don’t like my methods. You think I’m an accountant, a bean counter who’s more interested in my numbers than your instincts. … Good, because I think you’re a sexist, misogynist dinosaur.”
Judy Dench as M to Pierce Brosnan as James Bond in Goldeneye
“Someone has to save our skins. Into the garbage chute, fly boy.”
Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia to Harrison Ford as Han Solo in Star Wars: A New Hope
Who is he and what’s her story? Using numerous examples from movies and books, award winning author Robin Matheson demystifies the male and female alpha archetype.
– The Basics behind Pack Mentality and the Dominant Wolf
– Key Personality Profile Traits of a Typical Alpha
– Identifying an Alpha Skill Set
– Goals and Motivations: The Focused Alpha
– Archetypal Alphas
– The Facts behind the Fiction—Historical Alphas
– Super Powers and the Alpha
– On Being a Man—On Being a Woman: The Alpha’s Emotional Vulnerabilities
As part of this special intensive workshop, Robin will also offer participants a one-on-one critique of their Alpha in a work-in-progress.
BIO: Award winning author Robin Matheson holds an honors specialist degree in Classical Civilization and English and a Master of Education. She’s taught numerous courses at college, overseas and, more recently, online courses on writing. One of Robin’s greatest passions is traveling. In addition to their home base, she and her family have also lived in South East Asia and South Africa. Visit her at www.robiemadison.com